Alternative Airlines is a flight search and booking site that makes it easy to book domestic flights within India. With Alternative Airlines, you can book flights in English and rely on our trusted customer service team to help you with your booking. To begin, simply enter your chosen departure and arrival destinations into the search form at the top of the page.
When you book your flights in India with Alternative Airlines, you can pay using the currency of your choice, whether that's using Euros, Dollars, or even Indian Rupee. You can also choose to pay using PayPal, PayPal Credit, or one of our other payment plan options.
1. Airlines that operate domestic flights within India
2. What are domestic flights within India?
3. Why book a domestic flight?
4. Domestic flight check-in times
5. Popular routes and airports
6. Domestic flights in India FAQs
Domestic flights in India are provided not only by a local airline, but also by other airlines which have multiple destinations within India. These airlines can be anything from full-service airlines to low-cost carriers. Airlines include:
The flag carrier of India, operating international flights as well as domestic flights. It also has a subsidiary airline called Air India Express and Alliance Air. The airline has a hub at Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi, flying to destinations like Bangalore, Chennai, Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram and many more.
Vistara is a full-service airline based in Gurgaon, India operating over 300 weekly flights to over 20 domestic destinations including New Delhi, Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Chennai, Kochi and many more. The airline is owned by Tata Sons and Singapore Airlines.
IndiGo is a low-cost airlines based at Gurgaon, India and carrying over 300 million passengers annually to over 80 destinations. As a low-cost airline, it only operate a fleet of Airbus A320 with a seating capacity of 180 passengers to destinations such as Bangalore, Goa, Allahabad, Lucknow, Mumbai and many more.
A low-cost airline based in Gurgaon, India, previously named Royal Airways. the airline is now flying to over 50 domestic destinations including Chennai, Bagdogra, Gaya, Tirupati, Ahmedabad, Indore and many more. A fleet of Boeing 737 and Bombardier Q400 aircraft are being deployed for the airline from its hub at Indira Gandhi International Airport.
Go First, which was founded as GoAir, is an ultra-low-cost Indian airline based in Mumbai. The airline has 6 operating bases in Bengaluru, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kannur, Kolkata and Mumbai. Go First currently flies to over 35 destinations within India as well as Thailand, Sri Lanka, United Arab Emirates, Nepal and more.
Star Air is an Indian airline based in Kempegowda Interational Airport and only operates domestic flights and some commuter flights for the region. The domestic destinations that the airline is flying to are Bangalore, Ahmedabad, Belgaum, Tirupati, Kalaburagi, Hubli, Indore, Mumbai, Ajmer and Ghaziabad.
Zoom Air is a domestic full-service carrier in India based at Indira Gandhi International Airport, flying to seven domestic destinations including New Delhi, Agra, Jaisalmer, Tezpur, Jorhat, Kolkata and Durgapur.
AirAsia India is an airline that is headquartered in Bengaluru, India. The airline flies to over 15 destinations in India using a fleet mainly consisting of Airbus A320-200s. Some of the domestic destinations AirAsia India flies to include Dabolim, Srinagar, Ranchi, Kochi, Pune, Jaipur, Hyderabad and many more.
Akasa Air is a brand new Indian low-cost airline that commenced operations in August 2022. Its first flight took place on the 7th of August flying from Mumbai to Ahmedabad with a Boeing 737 MAX aircraft. Akasa Air currently flies to Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Kochi, Mumbai and Chennai, with plans to fly to Delhi from the beginning of October 2022.
Whether you are travelling within India for work and require a commuter flight, travelling for a holiday with family or wanting to explore the whole of India with a multi-city or open-jaw flight, Alternative Airlines can find flights to suit you.
As one of the largest countries in the world, and the second-most populated country in the world, there’s no wonder that there’s so much to see and do in India. From luxurious beaches in Goa and culture in Rajasthan and Jaipur to the more obvious tourist spots such as the Taj Mahal and the Golden Temple at Amritsar.
You can get to sites such as these and other destinations from major cities such as Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi and Goa.
Although the check-in time will often be later for domestic flights than it is for international flights, the times will vary from airline to airline. Here are a few popular airlines along with their check-in times for web check-in and airport check-in:
- Online: 48 - 2 hours before for most flights. For some flights, this will be available 54 hours before your flight.
- Airport: At the airport, passengers will have to have checked in for their flight at least 75 minutes before departure.
- Online: Passengers can check in for their flights 48 hours before departure. This service closes 1 hour before departure.
- Airport: Check-in counters will close 45 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
- Online: Passengers can check in online anytime, up to 1 hour before flying.
- Airport: Check-in at the airport will close 45 minutes prior to departure time, although passengers are recommended to check in around 2 hours before flying.
SpiceJet check-in is only available for domestic flights.
- Online: Web check-in is open from the time of confirmed booking up to two hours before the scheduled departure time.
- Airport: Passengers need to be at the boarding gate at least 45 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time.
- Online: Web check-in is open 72 hours to 2 hours before the scheduled departure time. Please note that web check-in is restricted in the following destinations: Kuwait, Dammam, Jeddah, Riyadh, Doha and Sharjah.
- Airport: Check-in will open 2 hours before and close 45 minutes before the flight is scheduled to depart. For flights from Srinagar and Jammu, check-in will be closed 90 minutes before, and flights from Bagdogra will close 120 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
- Online and Mobile: 24 hours before scheduled departure time.
- Airport: Check-in closes 60 minutes before departure time.
- Online and Mobile: Opens 24 hours before scheduled departure time. Closes 3 hours prior to departure.
- Airport: Check-in opens 2 hours before departure and closes 45 minutes prior to departure.
- Online and Mobile: You can check in online 2 weeks prior to departure up until 1 hour before the scheduled departure time.
- Airport: Opens 2 hours before departure and closes 1 hour before departure for domestic flights.
- Online and Mobile: Available from 48 hours up to 1 hour before departure for domestic flights.
- Airport: Check-in at the airport for Akasa Air flights is currently not available. Instead, you can check in via the mobile app.
When going to Goa, you will need to fly to Goa International Airport, which is officially known as Dabolim Airport. This airport is located about an hour away from the city of Goa, but there are great connections to the city from the airport.
There are a number of airlines which fly to Goa Airport from destinations across India. These include Air India, Alliance Air, IndiGo, SpiceJet and Vistara.
Mumbai Airport, officially known as Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport, is the closest airport to Mumbai.
Most of the major Indian carriers operate flights from Mumbai to other destinations in India. These include GoAir, AirAsia India, Alliance Air, Air India, SpiceJet and Vistara.
Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, sometimes referred to as Hyderabad Airport, is the closest airport to the city of Hyderabad. Located just 24km outside of Hyderabad, there are good connections to the city from the airport.
IndiGo, SpiceJet, TruJet, Vistara, GoAir and Alliance Air all operate flights from other destinations in India to Hyderabad. There are in addition a number of other airlines which connect Hyderabad to the world through flights to destinations elsewhere in the world.
To get to Chennai, you will need to fly into Chennai International Airport.
To get to Chennai from a destination within India, you can fly on airlines such as Vistara, US Bangla Airlines, TruJet, SpiceJet, IndiGo, and Alliance Air.
The following is a list of the most popular Indian internal flights:
Currently, a passport is not required for Indian nationals when travelling on flights within India. However, passengers are required to have a valid form of identity. This could include the following:
For children or students at school, a college or school identity card is also considered acceptable proof of identification. Infants travelling with their parents should not require identification, assuming that their parents have valid identification. However, it is recommended that children under 2 who travel for free without a seat on the plane take their birth certificate with them, to prove their age.
Passengers who are not Indian nationals, but are foreign nationals will need a passport on their Indian internal flights. Read more about travel documents for flights here.
Generally, passengers won’t need to arrive as early for their flights as they could if they were flying internationally. Please see the check-in times above for popular Indian airlines to see the latest check-in time, and plan your arrival at the airport around that.
There are many tips and tricks you can follow to help get cheap flights in India. For example, our blog on the cheapest day to buy flights is good for finding general tips about booking cheap flights. However, for information about domestic flights in India, you should do your research and look up peak times for visiting India, and things such as big events in the areas you are planning to travel to which might bump the price up.
Baggage will depend on the airline you are flying with. When searching and selecting a flight on Alternative Airlines, the included baggage will be displayed, with additional baggage available for purchase displayed as an option.
Yes! You can book any flight in India online at Alternative Airlines. Simply use the search bar above to enter your flight search, select your desired flights and simply continue on with the payment process. The flight booking process is simple, we also have a step-by-step guide to help you. Here at Alternative Airlines, we offer lots of payment plan options, ranging from Klarna to Affirm, Afterpay, and PayPal Credit to Zip and ZestMoney. Discover all our ways to pay.
You will have to get the permission of the airline you are flying with to see if you are allowed to take fruits with you on your flight. Read more about the foods you can fly with here, or alternatively, you can check out our information about booking an airline meal if you’d prefer a meal on your flight.
Yes, you can! Book flights through Alternative Airlines to pay on EMI. We offer lots of pay-monthly options, including Tabby and Postpay. Visit our guide to booking flights on EMI to find out more.
If you plan on flying internally within Pakistan, you may be interested in the following guides:
Flying while wearing a hijab or burka