Charlotte Douglas International Airport
About Charlotte Douglas International Airport
Charlotte Douglas International Airport (IATA: CLT) is a civil-military airport in Charlotte, North Carolina, and serves the greater Charlotte metropolitan area. CLT serves 175 nonstop destinations across the world and welcomes more than 46 million passengers annually.
The airport was established in 1925 under the name Charlotte Municipal Airport, but got its current name in 1982. Charlotte Douglas International Airport acts as a major gateway to the Caribbean Islands. Charlotte Douglas International Airport is the second largest hub for American Airlines, the first being Dallas/Fort Worth.
Charlotte Air National Guard Base
The airport is also a joint civil-military facility and home to the Charlotte Air National Guard Base, and its host unit, the 145th Airlift Wing (145 AW) of the North Carolina Air National Guard. The Guard is located in a military cantonment area on the east side of the airport. The general public will be unaffected when flying into/from the civilian airport.
- Eating and Shopping: Enjoy numerous eating and shopping opportunities throughout the airport, including the best known brands, fast food, fine dining, bars, duty free shopping and travel essentials.
- WiFi: Free WiFi is available to passengers throughout the terminal.
- Charging: Charging stations are located on all concourses, as well as gate areas. Seating with integrated power and USB can be located at Gates A21-A29 and all of Concourse B. Power outlets are also located throughout the Atrium and all concourses.
- Nursing: There are two Mother’s Room locations, one on the upper level of the Atrium across from the Airport Chapel and one located on Concourse A Connector between Gates A1-A13 and A21-A29.
- Pet Relief: Pet Relief Areas are located inside the terminal (post-security) on the A/B Connector (near Checkpoint A), on the Concourse A Connector (between Gates A1-A13 and A21-A29) and on Concourse D near Original Rum Bar and Grill.
- Interfaith Chapel: The Interfaith Chapel, open 24 hours, seven days a week, s located in the Atrium on the upper level.
- Additional facilities include ATMs, Currency Exchange.
Open daily, the USO of Charlotte Douglas International Airport is located on the upper level of the Atrium. Enjoy comfortable chairs, books, magazines, television and refreshments. Internet and phones are available free of charge. Find out more about US Military flights here.
American Airlines Admirals Club:
Open daily, 4.45am-10.30pm, the American Airlines Admirals Club is reserved for passengers with specific credentials such as elite status, premium tickets. Lounges cna be found in multiple locations: (1) Concourse B and (1) Concourse C. Passengers can enjoy complimentary facilities and amenities, including snacks, drinks (including alcoholic), WiFi, newspapers, magazines, internet terminals, and printers and copiers.
The airport features one crosswind and three parallel runways. The runways are designated 18C/36C, 18R/36L and 18L/36R. 5/23 is a 7,500ft-long crosswind runway.
The airport has one main terminal and five concourses. The five concourse areas are designated as A, B, C, D and E.
- Concourse A: 22 gates used by Air Canada, American, Contour Airlines, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, Spirit, and United. Phase one of expansion was completed in 2018, with phases two to begin construction in 2020, with plans to add 18 additional gates.
- Concourse B: 16 gates used almost exclusively by American Airlines. The concourse also features an Admirals Club.
- Concourse C: 8 gates used also by American Airlines. It is also used for American Eagle flights; these flights are operated by Republic Airline. An Admirals Club can be found in the intersection between the C and D concourses.
- Concourse D: 13 gates and serves as the international concourse. All international arrivals are handled at this facility. American operates some domestic flights from this concourse. It is also used by Lufthansa and Volaris.
- Concourse E: 6 gates, exclusively used for American Eagle flights, which operates over 340 flights per day. Gates E1 through E3 are available for any air carrier to use.
Airlines that fly to Charlotte Airport
American Airlines, American Eagle, Air Canada Express, Contour Airlines, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, Frontier Airlines, JetBlue, Lufthansa, Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines, Ultimate Air Shuttle, United Airlines, United Express, Volaris.
How to get to Charlotte Airport
The airport terminal is located on Josh Birmingham Parkway. Josh Birmingham Parkway connects with Wilkinson Boulevard (to I-485 and Uptown Charlotte), Little Rock Road (to I-85) and Billy Graham Parkway (to I-77).
By Public Transport
The Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) operates two regular bus routes from the airport terminal: Route 5-Airport (Sprinter) to Uptown Charlotte/CTC and Route 60-Tyvola Road to LYNX Tyvola station. A limited bus service also operates between the old terminal and Uptown Charlotte/CTC via Route 10-West Boulevard.
By Rental Car
The Rental Car Facility is located in front of the airport terminal, and operates on the three lower levels of the Hourly Deck. The level 2 lobby includes customer counters and kiosks from the following companies: Advantage, Avis, Alamo, Budget, Dollar, Hertz, Enterprise, and National.
Rated Excellent on Trustpilot
We’re super proud of our Trustpilot rating, but don’t just take it from us. See why millions of others love booking their flights through Alternative Airlines